The English for Academic Preparation (EAP) course at the Monash University English language Centre is an intensive program designed to equip students with the English language and academic skills required for tertiary study.
This full-time course is offered in five week modules. It is available at Elementary, Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate and Advanced levels.
The number of weeks in your course will depend on your entry level and destination degree. The average duration of a single level is 10 weeks.
The weekly study load is 35 hours with:
- 20 hours tuition in class hours
- 15 hours independent study outside class hours (including five hours in the Independent Learning Centre).
Subsidised IELTS test
IELTS Preparation students are entitled to a subsidised IELTS test rate of $155 (normally $330).
* Applicable to full-time students only. One test per student . Test must be booked at Monash IELTS Testing Centre before completion of the program.
Admission and placement into the English for Academic Preparation (EAP) levels depend on:
- your IELTS or TOEFL result, or
- an equivalent result on your Monash University English Language Centre placement test.
Depending on English proficiency, you will be placed in one of the five IELTS levels:
- Elementary: minimum entry level approximately IELTS 3.5
- Pre-intermediate: minimum entry level approximately IELTS 4.0
- Intermediate: minimum entry level IELTS 4.5
- Upper intermediate: minimum entry level IELTS 5.0
- Advanced level: minimum entry level IELTS 5.5.
After you successful completion of the English for Academic Preparation (EAP), you will have:
- prepared yourself for the demands of academic life at Monash
- developed higher level of competence in all English language skills areas (reading, writing, listening, and speaking)
- increased your confidence in using English within an academic context
- learnt the academic conventions, expectations and strategies required to succeed at tertiary level
- adjusted to the academic and cultural conventions of English speaking societies
- undertaken an IELTS test, included in the tuition fee.
International students can apply directly to Monash College or through an education agent. Apply through VTAC for admission to trimester 1 of our Diploma program if you are an international student currently studying Year 12 in Australia.
Follow these steps to apply:
- Collect certified copies of your most recent academic results and evidence of your English language proficiency.
- Download and complete the Monash College Application Form
- Send us the completed form and supporting documents. By email to [email protected] or by mail to:
Monash College International Recruitment Services Monash University 871 Dandenong Road Caulfield East Victoria 3145 Australia.
Apply through an education agent
We have a worldwide network of registered overseas agents. They have information about courses at Monash College and Monash University. Contact an agent in your area for advice and help with submitting your application, arranging accommodation or organising a student visa.
Domestic students can apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) or directly to Monash College, after the VTAC process is complete.
To be eligible as a domestic student, you must be one of the following:
- an Australian citizen
- a holder of an Australian permanent residents visa
- a New Zealand citizen currently studying in Victoria for the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE).